The twelve houses of a horoscope deal with all conceivable aspects of life. The most important of all houses is the lagna or the first house. The remaining houses are basically related to the first house only. The planets in the horoscopic chart are subservient to the lagna, and their original nature undergoes modifications depending upon the lagna.
(1) The Kendras (or Quadrants) : Houses 1, 4, 7 and 10. These are highly significant houses.
(2) The Panapharas (or Successant Houses) : Houses 2, 5, 8 and11.
(3) The Apoklimas (or Cadent Houses) : Houses 3, 6, 9 and 12.
(4) The Trikonas (or Trines) : Houses 1, 5 and 9. These are highly auspicious and along with the Kendras, determine the health, wealth, status, dignity, rise and virtue of a native.
(5)The Upachaya : Houses 3, 6, 10 and 11. These houses indicate struggle, competition and material achievement.
(6)The Trik Houses : Houses 6, 8 and 12. These are considered bad houses. They indicate debt, disease, loss and misery.
(7) The Ayu-sthanas (or houses of longevity) : Houses 8 and 3. They indicate the length of life and, therefore, also the death.
(8) The Maraka-sthanas (or killer houses) : Houses 2 and 7.
(9) The two halves of a horoscope :
(a) Houses 1 to 7 indicate the invisible half and houses 7 to 1 indicate the visible half of the horoscope.
(b)Houses 10 to 4 indicate the eastern half and houses 4 to 10 indicate the western half of the horoscope.